Thursday, December 14, 2006

I've been contemplating...

...our lives. We're coming up on the one year anniversary of T's car accident (it's this Friday, the 15th of December), and it seems that so much has changed in that short time. T's had two jobs, a lengthy hospital stay, and life-altering injuries and surgery. Maddy had the chicken pox. We actually had to accept the charity of others to keep body and soul together for awhile. (Humbling, to say the least!) We've moved out of our first "real" home and into another one ~ one that we love. M finally got to the top of the waiver program list *and* is actually receiving services. My sister moved ~ again. My MIL (who has always had excellent health) is suddenly sickly. My migraines? Never change ~ they are still the same as they have been for about, what ~ 2 years now? (Good grief!) My dad, who is usually sick all the time, is suddenly quite well. My best friend (other than my DH, of course!) got divorced and then went back to school. Maddy has a nurse F/T. My CdLS family lost 4 people this year. My blood family lost 1, which isn't too terrible, considering....

It's just odd. It seems that most years go by and I don't really notice the changes, or they are so small that they are assimilated quickly and easily into our lives. Then suddenly, in one 12 month period, it seems that virtually everything changed...all at once. I'm not complaining. We love the new house, T loves his new job, the nursing and other services provided by M's waiver are absolutely wonderful. The Make-A-Wish Maddy received was beyond anything we could ever have dreamed of for her...a truly once-in-a-lifetime gift.

From now until the end of the year, I have a feeling that I'll be reflecting quietly, in my heart, about what this year has meant to us. What we've learned. How we've changed. What it all means to us, for our future...for our little corner of the world.

I feel peace. It's a beautiful week. We have food in the pantry. There are gifts to be wrapped, and songs to be sung. My husband and my daughter are healthy and alive. It's more than enough. I love my life.

Thank you, God, for the blessings you've bestowed on my family this year. The gifts, the lessons, the hurt and the pain, the resolution of it all into this gorgeous season...this time of peace and joy and love.

(Off to address some more cards now....)

No comments: